Search This Blog

Loading...

Tuklasin Natin Adverts

Tuklasin Natin Adverts
Tuklasin Natin Adverts

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WEF Competitiveness Survey Only Captures Big Companies’ Sentiments, not PEZA locators and SMES


Economic Expert Explains on the Competitive Survey. Mr. Guillermo M. Luz (second from left) Co-Chairman for Private Sector of National Competitiveness Council (NCC) reacts to the presentation of Mr. Thierry Geiger (left), Associate Director of World Economic Forum (WEF), which publishes the Annual Global Competitiveness Report (GCR). Based from the latest GCR results, Philippines posted a remarkable progress in the ranking which is attributed to the improvement of the macroeconomic and business environment. Also in the photo are Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry Chairman Emeritus Miguel Varela and PhilExport President Sergio Ortiz-Luis Jr. (DTI-PRO)

The qualitative part of the Global Competitiveness Index, the Executive Opinion survey, mostly represents the perception of big corporations in the Philippines, an economic expert said.

Mr. Thierry Geiger, Associate Director of the World Economic Forum, said that the profile of the respondents for the Executive Opinion Survey conducted in the country is composed mostly of large corporations. The respondents were identified with the help of the local partner institutes, which in the case of the Philippines, is the Makati Business Club (MBC).

Geiger explained the reason in selecting survey respondents is “larger corporations have better sense of international perspective to assess their country.”

At present, large corporations composed only less than 1% of registered business establishments in the Philippines. This means that the small and medium enterprises (SMEs) which make up the remaining 99% are underrepresented in the survey. In terms of contribution to export growth and job generation in the country, PEZA locators are also underrepresented in the Executive Opinion polls.

With this situation, the GCI survey does not certainly capture the outlook of the Philippine businessmen in general.

Despite the reason, Mr. Geiger recognized the need for the SMEs and PEZA locators to be included in the GCI survey, being the major contributors to the economic growth of the country.

To address the said issue, Mr. Guillermo Luz, National Competitiveness Council (NCC) Co-Chairman for Private Sector said the NCC together with the GCI group will look on “balancing” the profile of the respondents to achieve a more accurate outlook of the Filipino businessmen.

Since part of GCI survey involves perception of the respondents towards business environment and the government, it is also noted that negative reports from media could affect the opinion of the businessmen. Mr. Luz stressed the importance of communicating government initiatives to the people. “Communication is important, the government needs to be ahead of the curve and communicate proactively to the public,” he said.

In the recent Global Competitiveness Report, Philippines posted a remarkable progress in the ranking, jumping 10 notches up to 75th place. This is attributed to the improvement of the macroeconomic environment and business sophistication. Public Relations Office, Department of Trade and Industry

No comments:

Post a Comment

Lingkod Bayan Partner in Public Service

Lingkod Bayan Partner in Public Service

Sponsors

Sponsors
Riscor Engineering Consultancy